Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Liz's Trip Back East

I just returned from a two week trip along the East Coast. I flew into Boston and spent Memorial Day weekend with my sister. Kate and I had a great time! We walked all over the city, consumed a fair amount of mojitos and lobster rolls and had so many good laughs. The weather was great and we even snuck into Kate’s future alma mater (the picture below is from outside).



From Boston, Kate and I both attended the Sea Service Leadership Symposium in DC. We were so proud of ourselves that we both convinced our bosses that it was a good idea for us to attend this conference. It was truly inspirational to see so many women in uniform. The night the conference finished, Mom, Dad, Kate and I attended an Italian cooking class at the Italian church in DC. We made mozzarella from scratch along with spinach ravioli and tiramisu. While it seemed so simple under that watchful eye of Chef Daniele, I do not think I will be making my own pasta anytime soon. Here is a picture of Dad making the filling for the ravioli and Kate working the pasta machine. We had so much fun—I can’t wait to be in DC to attend another class. Better yet, I can’t wait to live in Italy and really learn to cook!





From DC, Mom and I drove to New York. We spent the weekend in Floral Park with Grandma Jeannie and out in Bay Shore with Grandma and Pop Higgins. It was really good to see the family on both sides. Uncle Tony took us to a Belmont Stakes party and we had a great time. Long Islanders are such a welcoming brood…I knew no one at the party but I felt like I was at a huge family gathering.

I drove up to Lake George to see my friend Amy, her mom Priscilla and my four-legged daughter Sara. The Lake was a gorgeous as always. There is a certain calm that the Lake always brings. Amy and I had a great visit. Below is a picture of me while running errands with Amy. She needed some milk so we obviously went to a farm. It was very cool to see a small working farm where they had cows and goats and horses (can anyone say city girl). Never underestimate the power of great friend. Amy and I have not seen each other in over 2 years and it was like no time had passed. Thanks again, Amy, for watching Sara…you’re a lifesaver.





 
From the Lake I drove back to Long Island to visit with the family again. So great to see everyone and I so appreciated all the well wishes as I head out next week. The only way the trip could have been better was if Nathan was with me. I am back in Hawaii to check out and I have one last household goods shipment tomorrow.

Hope you all are well!

Cheers,

Liz


2 comments:

  1. Liz,

    It's only been a week and we miss you so much! I am truly enjoying your blog. Keep us posted!

    Aloha,
    Glenda Shibata

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liz! I missed a call at work yesterday, and the voice message had your old voice tag on it! Made want to track you down online. I'm so happy to see that you guys are doing well.

    ReplyDelete