Monday, June 28, 2010

In the "NArmy" and Some Amazing Women

Two topics today.


We arrived at the McCrady Training Facility at Fort Jackson, South Carolina yesterday evening. The Army jokes have already started (“Narmy”…get it? Navy and Army or “Sailder of One”). We spent today getting settled and not much else. The real training starts tomorrow at 4:45 am (aka “O’dark-thirty”). We will be getting issued all of our Army gear to include body armor and helmet, weapons and whole bunch of other stuff. They told us it will weigh about 150 pounds. Some of you may know of my horrible packing skills so this extra weight in addition to the 2 big bags I have already will be fun to haul around. There is actually a great video that explains the training we will be doing while we are in South Carolina. Here is the link: http://www.navy.mil/navydata/featurePlay.asp?id=2

There are about 200 people in this training group; some are active duty, some are reservists and they come from all walks of life. We are deploying all over the world with the majority of folks going to Iraq, Afghanistan or Djibouti. There are about 30 women in this group. That is my second topic for this entry. In the past day I have met some amazing women! Here are some examples:

• This evening I saw a Chief on the phone while ironing her uniform. She was on the phone with her son explaining how to roast a chicken (“Yes, it needs to be thawed. No, it will not taste like KFC when it comes out.”). I had to chuckle.

• I met a Reservist CDR Human Resources Officer who is deploying to Afghanistan for a year to recruit for the Afghani military. She is leaving behind her husband and SEVEN children. I was in awe as she explained how she divided household responsibilities and set up a support network for her husband.

• The LCDR JAG next to me is deploying to Iraq/Afghanistan for her 3rd time. She and I were commiserating on the logistical nightmare of packing up and not being able to (or feeling guilty asking people to) mail stuff to you after you arrive in theater. Because you never really know what you need until you get there and by then, all your worldly possessions are either in storage or in the seabag you are carrying.

Thanks for all the calls and well wishes the past few weeks.  I will still have my cell phone on for the next 3 weeks.

More to follow in the coming days about this Army training. I plan on posting some pictures (I promise!).

Cheers,

Liz

3 comments:

  1. You and your new "shipmates" are so inspiring! Keep on kickign butt.
    Lots of love -
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us know if we can send you anything! It's baffling how hard it can be to find the good shampoo overseas. -Dani

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz...finally got my G Mail reset.. good write-up. Don't hesitate to send a shopping list here.
    Love,D

    ReplyDelete