Friday, July 30, 2010

Welcome to Djibouti

After our sponsors met us once we arrived on camp, we attended a quick indoc session where we were told the basic rules and told such useful things as when meals are and where to be on Monday morning. I arrived on camp on Thursday, July 22nd and am finally writing about it on Friday, July 30th. It has been a busy week of turnover with the guy who had the job for the last year.

The base is surprisingly large with a million moving pieces. There is construction going on all over the place for things like a new galley (aka dining hall), runway repairs, power plants and the list goes on. I am the Assistant Public Works Officer. In that capacity, I am the #2 in our office where we manage the contract that provides all the day to day support of the base (e.g. cleaning, food, berthing, just routine stuff) along with other one time construction contracts for projects like repairs to buildings or water lines to major military construction like building a new galley or water distribution system around camp. I am still spending a lot of time at the office just reading through old correspondence trying to catch up on the history of what decisions were made when and why. I am dealing with a lot of funding issues I have never dealt with before which is interesting.

The base has a lot of quality of life type of things. There is a well air conditioned gym along with a turf field and volleyball court. There is a small store that sells things folks need like toiletries and electronics along with a coffee shop, rec center and 2 computer/TV spots. In future posts I will include some pictures from around camp so you get a visual of what this place looks like. Sorry no pictures this time, I have not taken my camera with me at all.

This post gives me an opportunity to brag a little on Nathan. He just the word that he was selected for promotion to Lieutenant Commander. I knew I married a rock star.

No comments:

Post a Comment